Gambling: An Addiction or A Hobby?
Whether it is purchasing a Lottery ticket or a scratcher,
visiting a casino, purchasing a pack of trading cards, or even betting your
friend whether or not he will eat the hottest pepper, these are all forms of
gambling. We may have the perception that gambling is associated with
losing/winning money or if it has anything to do with a casino in Las Vegas but
actually we are gambling with almost every decision that we make; some are just
more calculated decisions than others.
I love gambling. I love purchasing Lottery tickets,
scratchers, and especially paying a visit to the casinos. Of course winning
makes everything much better but everyone is bound to lose at one point or
another. Now only being 21, I have probably been to a casino more than many
other 21 year olds and even more than some adults. I know I do not have an
addiction to gambling as I know when to stop when I am down and when to walk
away when I am up. Yet many friends still call me a gambler or addicted to
gambling jokingly or not jokingly I’m not sure. So where exactly do we draw the
line between having an addiction versus being a hobby?
Ultimately, what differentiates a hobby from an addiction is
that hobbies are voluntary. Hobbies are fulfilling in their own right, not
something you do to get a high or because you feel like you must do them.
However, I feel a high when I gamble, but it is not something that I always
seek or need to have. An addition is something you have to do. Addictions are
usually characterized by compulsive behavior. People who fuel their addictions
do so not because they enjoy it, but because they feel anxious and restless
when they can’t indulge in their addiction. I definitely am not restless just
because I am not gambling but it is hard to explain it to my friends. I trust
myself to not get addicted and as do my parents. So for now, I like to say that
gambling is more of a hobby of mine.
Playing poker is extremely fun. I've got to try to not go too crazy on putting money down on these types of games as well haha
ReplyDeleteI like gambling as well. Let's hope that our gambling is more of a hobby rather than an addiction of ours.
ReplyDeleteIt's a good question. All my hobbies, however, have turned into addictions. League of Legends, CSGO, Netflix, manga, etc. Many of these I try to limit myself to doing only for a little a day, but my mind and body forces me to play more and more, until I feel disgusted with myself... Addiction or hobby, I still wonder about that. Gambling is too much fun as well...
ReplyDeleteIt's interesting that you have defined what addiction and hobbies are. I honestly always though of gambling becoming an addiction not a hobby. You have made me realize that it can be a hobby as well.
ReplyDeleteInteresting post! I think light gambling makes life more interesting because it turns everything into a fun little competition.
ReplyDeleteMy uncle is a huge gambling addict and as thrilling as I bet it can be, it is also so scary. This was a cool piece. I liked how you defined the 2. Definitely try to keep it as a hobby if you can!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI was feeling lucky last Thursday, it was one of those daya when everything goes your way, so I purchased a $10 scratcher for the first time in years. Scratched the numbers, guess what, my balance is now -$10 :(
ReplyDeleteI completely understand how you feel; it's not an addiction but just a sense of thrill or enjoyment that is enjoyable from time to time! It's so hard to explain that to parents...
ReplyDelete