Introduction
Before reading the book, I thought about the title of the
book, Omnivore’s Dilemma. I know what an omnivore is and I know what a dilemma
is but I knew that it was more than the dilemma of choosing what to eat for
every meal. The first quote that I related to was “When you can eat just about anything
nature has to offer, deciding what you should
eat will inevitably stir anxiety, especially when some of the potential foods
on offer are liable to sicken or kill you” (pg. 3). Although I am not exactly
sure of the author’s definition of omnivore’s dilemma quite yet, I feel like
the quote is quite relevant to me and to many others on a daily basis but on a
surface level. My friends and I always have the problem of choosing where to
eat whether it be for lunch or dinner. And even though the decision seems very
important at the moment, at the end of the day, it is very minuscule because it
is only one meal in one day out of hundreds and hundreds of meals in a year.
Two other quotes that struck me as interesting were “But for
omnivores like us a vast amount of brain space and time must be devoted to
figuring out which of all the many potential dishes nature lays on are safe to
eat” (pg. 4) and “Many anthropologists believe that the reason we evolved such
big and intricate brains was precisely to help us deal with the omnivore’s
dilemma” (pg. 4). I would have never thought of anything preposterous like
this. Firstly, I would never eat anything purposefully that would do arm to my
body. I have some friends who would be allergic to certain foods and eat them
anyways and decide to just suffer through it because it’s so good. So I guess
there are people like that. Secondly, I think I will need to read more of the
book and understand the anthropologists’ idea that our brains are so developed
because of how we eat because I definitely do not feel a strong connection with
brain power and food nor can I quite believe this.
Chapter 1-The Plant:
Corn’s Conquest
“Beef people sounds more like it, though nowadays chicken
people, which sounds not nearly so good, is probably closer to the truth of the
matter” (pg. 23). I think nowadays it should be labeled as no-carbs people or consume
everything people because there are so many new trends to eating that it is
more than just a certain animal or food product. I myself would be under the
consume everything people just because I like to eat and there aren’t many
foods that I do not like.
Finally, I wonder what our world would be like if “…corn
would have disappeared from the earth in a few years” (pg. 26) (in a few years
from when it was introduced). I never knew that corn was such an important food
in so many of a day today products, not only other foods. I think Professor
Hansen was right that the chapter would teach me more about corn that I would
ever know or wanted to know, although I didn’t quite know that corns had sex. But
corn has proven itself to be such a staple in a lives for hundreds of years
that I can only imagine what life would be like without it.
Interesting view of what you've found so far!
ReplyDeleteIt's crazy to think how much of an impact corn has!
ReplyDeleteI agree that deciding where to eat is such a minuscule task, but we always face it so many times!
ReplyDeleteI also liked the quote about evolving our brains for the omnivore's dilemna.
ReplyDeleteI've never really put much thought about the food we eat and how unhealthy it is and how it can kill us.... reading these blogs have definitely given me a new outlook on life to become more aware of the things I put in my body.
ReplyDeleteI really like your first paragraph and you're personal discovery of what you think it all means. And thats funny you mention that dilemma of deciding where to eat.. that was the very first thing I thought of when I heard the name of this book
ReplyDeleteIts crazy to think how prevalent corn is in our entire food system. You can only imagine how devastating some disease that affects our corn would be because we are so dependent upon it.
ReplyDelete