Forensic Investigations Associate at KPMG
When you hear forensic investigations, what is the first
thing that comes to mind? Most people tend to think of the television show CSI,
the FBI, or some sort of super-secret agent. Well, I am here to tell you that
being a Forensic Investigations Associate isn’t quite like that. In fact, it
involves you sitting in a cubicle processing and analyzing data.
Forensic investigations lies under risk consulting which
helps organizations transform risk and compliance efforts into a competitive
advantage. Applying a risk lens to corporate strategy improves an
organization’s risk intelligence and decision making. The process between KPMG
and their client is as follows:
1.
A Client approaches KPMG with suspicion of
fraudulent activities occurring within their company.
2.
KPMG collects their client’s data and analyzes
the data to find out who is involved, when the fraudulent activities began, and
what the results of the fraudulent activity are.
3.
The results are then displayed in graphical
format and presented in a report which is then given to the client.
My experience is limited to this past summer but I am
looking forward to continuing my career in forensic investigations. I will first
take you through my experience as an intern and then describe the expectations
and responsibilities of a full time associate.
Summer Internship
My internship started with a national intern training hosted
by KPMG in Orlando, Florida. With over 1400 interns from all over the country
attending, the training taught us the importance of knowing ourselves and our
own character and just meeting new people and creating new relationships. I
also learned about risk consulting and ways how to identify risks and control
them. Throughout the week, I explored the night life of Orlando during my free
time. Overall, the training provided a valuable experience not only in meeting
new people but taught fundamental skills relevant to forensic investigations.
As an intern, the tasks assigned to me were extremely limited
in scope due to the lack of training and sensitivity of client information. Due
to the restrictions, my experience consisted of mostly data entry. However, on
certain engagements, I listened to communication between the lead partner and
the client. This provided me with an overall idea of the engagement at hand
even though I performed only data entry. Over the course of seven weeks, I
performed a variety of tasks:
·
Entered and analyzed 500+ reports to detect
fraudulent activities for clientele
·
Organized 7600+ invoices for easier
accessibility and in preparation for evidence handling
·
Proposed diagrams and graphs to display data for
client deliverable
·
Participated in numerous volunteering events in
the Los Angeles community
For example, one engagement I
worked on involved a whistleblower who informed our clients that there have
been employees participating in fraudulent survey results. In order to figure
out who was involved and when it started, our client sent us their daily
drilling records for us to analyze. I then transcribed their handwritten
records into Excel for easier accessibility and from there passed it onto the
associate and manager. I also created a visual for our client to show them
which employee was involved with which drilling record. The client expressed
how pleased they were with our work and praised KPMG for completing yet another
job.
Full Time Forensic Investigations Associate
During my internship, I had the
opportunity to talk to associates, senior associates, managers, directors, and
even partners to gain their perspective on the industry, company, and what I
should expect as an incoming forensic investigation associate. Across the
board, everyone encouraged me to refine my Excel skills, learn the fundamentals
of SQL, and be able to produce aesthetic PowerPoints. In addition, I learned
the responsibilities of a forensic investigations associate:
·
Conduct and coordinate large-scale,
multi-jurisdictional investigations
·
Summarize, analyze, and prepare analysis reports
and findings in a clear, logical, and concise manner
·
Interact with and interview clients and other
external sources in order to obtain relevant information and documents, and
supervise a professional team with backgrounds ranging from accounting to law
enforcement
·
Evaluate
internal control structures and data to help identify weaknesses and associated
risks and make recommendations on how to mitigate those risks and evaluate the
general risk faced by the client in a particular industry
For example, my senior associate “buddy” exchanged
numerous emails with the client and created and presented graphs based on the
data that I had inputted. This gave a clear and concise picture to the client
what we had discovered and what precautions they should take going forward.
As an intern, I was not able to participate in any
of these responsibilities but I am looking forward to contribute more as a
full-time associate. Moreover, KPMG allows incoming associates to participate
in their 50-50 program in which I will be rotating between forensic
investigations and audit services every six months. This allows me to gain
exposure to both practices as well as fulfill the required hours to pass my
attest CPA exam.
The countless opportunities at KPMG allow for me to
grow professionally and mentally while the culture and environment in the
office allows for endless opportunities and friendships.
Readability Statistics
Passive Sentences 3%
Flesch Reading Ease 41.1
Flesch Kindcaid Grade Level 12.6
Great insight on what a forensic investigator actually does.
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome you go to go to Orlando for this job!
ReplyDelete^^Orlando sounds like a blast
ReplyDeleteNever knew that this was under risk consulting! I had to do a lot of risk analysis and market projections for my recent internship and I'm keen to find out whether we use the same functions in our work!
ReplyDeleteToo bad forensic investigations associate isn't a secret agent job. Nice to know the details about it, sounds interesting for a consulting related job.
ReplyDeleteJared, this job sounds so awesome! You must've felt like those guys on CSI for sure. Glad to hear there are people in reality that do this stuff.
ReplyDeleteI would have never been able to guess the job description based on the title haha. Congratulations on your internship! Sounds like they really worked you guys.
ReplyDelete