Tuesday, November 10, 2015

The Challenge for Africa - Post 1

Reading the introduction to Wangari Maathai’s The Challenge for Africa, I was compelled with a few points that she addresses in the book. Firstly, she states “We all share one planet and are one humanity; there is no escaping this reality.” This sort of hit me a bit, wondering if I have a responsibility for all of the world or just the surrounding city that I am in. She goes on to say that she wrote the book for all those with an interest in the fate of the African continent, from the general reader to advocates, researchers, development specialists, and government officials. I don’t quite think I fall under any of these categories (except reader maybe) but I am still pondering whether I should have a duty to do something about the social and economic situations of other countries.

Maathai mentions an answer to my question at the end of the first chapter. “Only Africans can resolve to provide leadership that is responsible, accountable, and incorruptible. It is they who must embrace their cultural diversity, restore their sense of self-worth, and use both to create thriving nations…” Yet, while it may be Africans job to restore their own country, the resources with which they use, such as biological resources are finite and if we run out, what would happen? In the second chapter, Maathai talks about Africa’s Legacy of Woes. Throughout the history of leadership of Africa, there has risen so many conflicts, coups, civil wars, and corruption beyond imaginable.

Chapter 4 is titled Aid and the Dependency Syndrome. Africa has been targets for many new companies, trying to make a difference in a poor community. When Joan came to talk to us, she mentioned to be empathetic, not sympathetic. We shouldn’t be depicting Africa and all the starving children and poor communities but instead, Maathai says that development agencies need to present a vision of the Africa they wish to see rather than using images that undercut the very mission they are trying to accomplish. It should be possible for potential donors to respond to images of a functioning Africa that deserves support and not only give in response to those images that inspire pity and condescension.



10 comments:

  1. It's unfortunate that many companies are targeting these poorer countries to try to take advantage of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you were able to relate Joan's talk to the case at hand as I noticed this too. This is the perfect case where we see empathy as a solution over sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all share one planet and I think people should feel responsible for not just their own city or country and instead of taking advantage of other countries, we should be more involved with helping them improve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that Africa shouldn't be dependent on the new companies, but rather learn to sustain themselves. It's a great example of empathy over sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I really like that first quote. This may sound a little odd and farfetched, but it reminds me of Reagan's speech in Moscow after the cold war. He basically describes a little scenario in which an average Ivan and Anya meet an average Jim and Sally and discuss everyday life and talk about everything but politics and war. He does this to basically show that we are all one people and we share the same world. Although we have different problems, we all live together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am learning so much more about Africa that I had no idea about before. Maathai makes such a great point and I completely agree that Africa first step should be to try to restore their sense of self-worth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm reading the same book and I like how you approached it. The quote in the beginning leaves one with so many questions, like am I hiding from the fact that our worlds are now interconnected, am I making a change, am I responsible as you said for more than my neighborhood and city. Can't wait to read more

    ReplyDelete
  8. From the speakers in class and the points you made about Maathai we are really doing negative work by trying to sympathize African populations through pictures. That is something I haven't thought about in the past, but will probably pay more attention to now

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it is vital to develop agencies that can continue to aid africa as well as developing countries and provide them with support that will last longer than a few years! They need real, productive systems

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it is vital to develop agencies that can continue to aid africa as well as developing countries and provide them with support that will last longer than a few years! They need real, productive systems

    ReplyDelete